I'm content, I'm ready
I have a purpose, a meaning
There are even silver linings in the rainy days
I've got horses, and music, autumn, friends, reasons not to be lazy, hope and confidence
Horses:
The wind is howling, the sun is shining, the leaves are flitting about, autumnal butterflies.
The leather and hay smell whirls about my head, I move with purpose about my chores
A job I can do
pick the hooves, brush the coat, kiss the nose
get on.
He's a big gray thoroughbred, a year off the track, I think big so he thinks I'm big
The wind blows around us, his mane catches in it, his ears perk to it, his steps move to follow it while the other horses, free in their pastures snort and run with the leafy gusts, kicking their heels and stretching their necks with noses flared, challenging the oncoming cold
A plastic green chair gets caught up and tumbles through our path
He tenses and springs, head high, eyes wide
and me
planted on his back, big.
I feel his power and his trust as he leaps in fear. I sing "easy, woah", His ears turn back to me, I tighten the reigns, he lowers his head, I sit tall and unmoving, he slows and stops, breathing heavily, walking on slowly, my hand on his neck my voice praising him
never a dull moment
No comments:
Post a Comment