Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Days Off

This weekend was a holiday weekend here in Jamaica which meant that we had off Friday and Monday.

I already described farming on Friday. On Saturday Shameaka and I went into Papine, a district of Kingston close to the steep mountains and then to Kingston... and then back to Papine. As you snake your way down the mountain, houses and buildings get closer together and nearer to the road when finally the road levels out and Papine is before you in all her urban glory. To the left of the road is blocks of buildings holding cell phone stores, hair and nail salons, the off track betting/gambling outlet and of course various shops selling 'sweetie' snacks and drinks. The road splits into two one way roads with a park-like square in the middle. To the right of the square is a grocery market and a bit more of the same, with some jerk chicken sellers here and there. If you look beyond the line of businesses on the left, it drops steeply, following a road further into the valley, and directly across the way, another mountain side dotted with fancy homes taking in the view. Of course there's also the beautiful sight of garbage pretty much everywhere you look, regardless of location.

In Papine we visited with Shameaka's cousin who does hair and got a pattie for lunch. Patties are cheap fast food type concoctions, a flaky turnover-like crust filled with one of several options: beef, chicken and sometimes veggie chunks (soy). One can put this between a fold of sweet white coco bread to add some more carbs but I generally prefer the comfort of a side of fries. After lunch we headed into town (Kingston) with Sham's other cousin who recently found that she is 2 months pregnant with her third child (her other two girls are sweethearts, the youngest of them has just the biggest eyes and the sharpest tongue). In town I followed the women around the busy streets towards coronation market, where I'd gone with Peggy 2 weeks ago. Sham bought some sunglasses and earrings but the open and crowded layout was too distracting for me to actually shop, I never realized how partial I am to the quiet and orderly mall setting. I was glad to move to the produce market where the prospect of fresh fruits and veggies laid at arms reach. I bought some broccoli to put in pasta, and tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch sandwiches.
We went back to Papine where I waited for Sham to get her nails done. As I sat, a man came in with a suitcase and began to take clothing out of it. All the ladies knew this man, stopped what they were doing and asked him to throw them things if they liked how they looked. They then appraised the quality, fit and price before taking it of throwing it back to him to pack back up. He visited for a bit and on his way out asked for my number so he could get to know me. Psh, classic Jamaican.
By the end of Friday I was exhausted with a headache and feeling sick, I've been fighting something for a few days now, but I'll get to that.
Sunday was Easter, I skyped with the family and stayed inside most of the morning due to rain. Once the rain stopped I met up with the other trainees and we took a long walk up the hill to Jack Allen, a kind of district of Woodford (the town I'm in, I'm supposed to be discrete about public displays of location...PDL?)The district I'm a part of is Freetown, which one can see from Jack Allen. We took the back way instead of a road so that it would seem more hike-ish, it was my first time among those houses I said I'd no idea how to get to... I can't imagine being old in one, how could they get groceries up the mountain with no car access??

Sunday there was to be a wedding in Kingston and I was invited to attend by another host family. I think the last wedding I went to was Uncle Toph and Aunt Holly's and I don't remember it as I was a likkle pickney (have i mentioned this yet? 'little child'). A 7th day Adventist wedding reminded me of a more chauvinistic Roman Catholic wedding though, lots of emphasis on the role of a man vs the role of a woman in a marriage. A 7th Day Adventist wedding is a dry wedding, no alcohol and finally a 7th Day Adventist wedding is one where you sit and listen to people give speeches and toasts while you eat food for 4 hours- there was no dancing. The wedding got me really excited to plan my own, something that has never crossed my mind unless it's to think "I wonder why I never feel compelled to plan my own fairy tale wedding? oh well, come on Lucy let's get muddy."
While I'd expect no fairy tale, I'd expect something along the lines of my going away party, except I'd get to wear a pretty white dress and spend the rest of my life with someone special. Daaw.

Today (Tuesday) I went to training feeling under the weather as has been the case since Thursday. I called Viola, the PC nurse to let her know that I scratched my eye over the weekend, not expecting her to tell me to leave immediately for the doctor. With 500 JD (jamaican dollars) in my pocket and no ID to speak of, I took a taxi with Robert, one of the trainers, down into Kingston. I was not in a great mood and felt sicker as we got in. I have a mild corneal abrasion and must use antibiotic drops however, the sickness is simply a cold, nothing to diagnose and I must stick it out. I opted to come home after the doctor's instead of go back to training, I slept for a few hours to the tune of some anxious dreams and now find myself awake with a bit of a fuzzy brain. Hopefully I can find enough rest tonight to feel better tomorrow... the thought of the walk home feels very daunting this side of Wednesday.

I hope good health and happiness is following you all <3

6 comments:

  1. Love you honey. Sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have gotten me sick because I have a cold now, too. Thanks a lot :-p

    Feel better! Btw how much is 500 JD in American dollars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adri! I've been reading as often as I can... love to "hear" your voice and visit Jamaica with you. Hugs and kisses for the brave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 85 jamaican to one american sooo 500 JD would be about 6 american

    ReplyDelete