Sunday, May 13, 2012

Drumroll Please…

This post spans not only time, but space.

About an entire island’s worth of space actually…

Yes, my friends, I have arrived at my final destination. I realize I haven’t blogged about the entire week in between but it mostly involved a farmer field school, chatting patwa ‘nuff’ (a lot) and rehearsing our skit for the cultural Olympics.

So, we arrived in Kingston on Sunday after a sad goodbye to Woodford (on Xavier’s birthday too, wah). The rain started as we left, good luck according to our farmer friend Merv…

Oh I’m sorry, did you want to know where I am? Well to be honest my mind is in like 16,000 different places right now. Like the fact that I said I’d have internet and I don’t so I’m hoping my family doesn’t freak out that I haven’t contacted them. And that I haven’t written in so long that I’ll be leaving out ‘nuff tings’. Also, I’ve barely been here more than 5 hours and I’m so very sleepy.

OKokok. I am the new Peace Corps Volunteer (as of May 18th) for the Beeston Springs Organic Farmers Group located in the parish of Westmoreland, within sight of Bluefield Bay. I live with a lawyer and his wife who both seem to love to entertain, the house is surrounded by fruiting trees and bushes and plants of all sorts waiting to be eaten (everything from mulberry to thyme, soursop, breadfruit, banana, cherries, naesberry…) The couple also has a likkle pickney girl of about 2 years old who has the biggest eyes and the most adventurous of personalities.

I want to describe the process of yesterday, learning about my place, winning the cultural Olympics by repeating the mantra ‘it doesn’t matter if we loose’ and meaning it. I want to describe in great detail today, meeting our supervisors, packing up our things, the 3 1/2 hour drive to Westmoreland. But I’m exhausted, and I don’t imagine I’ll have much time in the next few days to blog more than how the day went. So for now, I will accept that there are things that just don’t need to be detailed- moments that can be saved for letters, or stories for a phone call.

I must rest up, for tomorrow, I meet my community Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment