The internet is a scarcity in Beeston Spring, so I have not been compelled to blog. I’m writing this not knowing when I’ll actually have the internet to post it, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to get to the internet café in Whitehouse this weekend.
Last week feels like ages ago. We reconvened in Kingston for our last week of training before heading back to site. While many of us were not excited to leave each other, I felt as though I’d been pulled away from a great book mid sentence in an action scene. I wanted to return to my community and get started, I wanted to ‘do me’ instead of sitting in lectures about safety and budgeting. As frightened and uncertain as I was for my future, it was difficult being back in the city when I had barely touched down on my new home.
I’ll admit it was a blast to cook in our hotel room, swim in the pool, drink rum and spend quality time with my friends before I departed, but, true to the nature of an introvert, our often rambunctious crew became overwhelming to me quickly.
The day we were sworn in was my 23rd birthday. We convened, along with our project supervisors, at the US Ambassadors home under a big tent for the ceremony, which was much shorter and less painful than the welcoming ceremony that took place 10 weeks prior. Being that we had to leave for site after the ceremony, and Westmoreland is at the other end of the island, we left shortly after the ceremony. Three of us volunteers live and work near each other, so we piled our bags into Wolde’s van (Linnae’s supervisor) and hit the road, three of us and three supervisors, listening to Wolde’s reggae selection and nodding off to sleep.
The Ambassador Giving a Speech at Swearing In- She was denied from the Peace Corps when she applied back in the day!
The Governor General of Jamaica making his speech
Our representatives from each group giving their speeches (Kevin, Riley and Jedd- environment, education and youth as promise from L to R)
We arrived back in the early evening, in time for dinner. The family greeted me warmly and I was glad to be back. Saturday morning I woke to Lesa cleaning the house in preparation for two guests to arrive, courtesy of Countryside Community Tourism- a business headed by a strong willed woman named Diana Pike. The guests were potential investors in Ms. Pike’s business, and I tagged along as they toured Beeston Spring, introducing myself to people along the road and listening to things I hadn’t heard yet. I got to watch the Mento Band play and danced like a tourist for a bit. By the time we returned home, I had gotten a whole new viewpoint of where I live, and who/what kinds of personalities I might be contending with. A big family style dinner was followed by a rowdy game of dominoes on the back veranda.
Dancing with Astille and a little boy in the band. (photo courtesy of Countrystyle Community Tourism)
Sunday was nice and lazy for most of the day- feeling a cold coming on I gladly lay about the house, drinking tea and watching tv. Later in the evening, Barbara and I went to Bluefields Bay to join the fishermen and farmers in wishing Patrick, the former PCV for the area, farewell. The turnout and appreciation at the party speaks measures to Patrick’s accomplishments and his role in the community. It was heartwarming to witness.
The past few days I have spent mostly observing. I leave in the morning and, with the guiding care of my friend Shamere or Barbara, I get a ride up to the container where the Beeston Spring Development Committee has its office. I read development plans, environmental statements, history pamphlets etc, while my fellows have been organizing photos into a slideshow for the Best Community competition, which was judged today for 2011.
Tomorrow (Wednesday, 5/23) is labor day here- a day marked by community service and a day off from school. As I came home early due to the worsening of this damn cold, I hope to be well enough to participate tomorrow. Dear tight chest, dry cough and stuffy nose- GO AWAY I HAVE PEOPLE TO IMPRESS.
<3 love always from abroad
No comments:
Post a Comment