Tuesday, October 2, 2012

6 Months

Last week I attended the Early Service Peace Corps Conference in Ocho Rios along with the rest of my training class, Group 83. I felt like a grown up since my dad used to take us for these “all expenses paid” “vacations” while he lectured and sat in on conferences with the American Academy of Dermatology. It wasn’t quite that luxurious- the resort we stayed in was undoubtedly on a beautiful piece of beach, but by the decorations and deteriorating interior it was apparent that its heyday was closer to 1975. Regardless, Group 83 enjoyed free meals, air conditioning, fabulous instruction on project design, management, proposal writing, mental health and safety as well as took full advantage of unlimited pool and beach access. The latter two items mostly took place at night, since our days were jam packed with the former items. The whole experience was a great opportunity for bonding between sectors which I’m grateful for- there was little opportunity after sector training ended for such interactions and the laid back after-hours vibe of the week really lent itself to mixing and mingling. I also decided to do away with 1/3 of my hair with a very simple solution:
I call it “boy chic”
IMG_0541
I am less prone to feeling overheated, though no less prone to sweating or being hot.
The conference ended on Friday but a few of us chose to travel further east to Oracabesa where we swam over a vast reef (and I wished I was a stronger swimmer/ didn’t hyperventilate in a snorkel), saw a fellow PCV’s site and stayed at an amazing hostel that I’ll definitely be recommending to visitors. The owner is an Italian hippie from Jersey with 4 very friendly dogs and who’s been living in Jamaica for many many years. The walls throughout the house are painted with beautiful murals and quotes:
IMG_0547
IMG_0548
IMG_0549

IMG_0551IMG_0550
the above mural says “Until the lions have their histories, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter”
IMG_0552
IMG_0553
IMG_0555
these two are a continual mural on two walls
IMG_0554IMG_0557IMG_0559
IMG_0560

Anyway, being back has been interesting. The American camaraderie I left behind was strong and comforting and a cool breeze today brought flashbacks to the autumn I know is gearing up back home. Today was a day of extreme home sickness- My biological clock is demanding crisp Mohonk Mtn hikes, colorful Sunday morning horseback rides, apple picking and pie and the warmth of a furry pooch in my arms. Scarf and sweater weather, cider donuts and hay rides.
As I continue sweating and thanking god I have less hair, I remind myself that I can come home to fall in two years, and I after that I’ll never have to miss another one <3

Below: I biked to my office- a continual and steep uphill ride for maybe a mile and a half. I met up with some school pickney and they decided to help me walk my bike the rest of the way. I got company on the walk AND physical assistance, damn I’m a lucky gyal.
IMG_0525

No comments:

Post a Comment